Greenland - Permit & Insurance

The Greenland Government requires expeditions and/ or yachts to have a permit when off the ”beaten track” defined on their website which also explains in detail the process.
This process requires plenty of time but is not onerous and you should allow 8 months. In addition to completing the application form with a detailed plan you require a Radio Licence and a Firearms Permit from other Greenland Government departments.
Additionally you require Search and Rescue Insurance which despite considerable research we were only able to find one company who would sign to the Greenland Governments terms. They are based in Greenland and very helpful but expensive as an indication our insurance was circa £4k. Each individual will also require their medical insurance which can be difficult to obtain.

CAUTION: The information above is selective and reflects conditions at the time of visiting. It is not definitive and may be changed or revised without notice. To the extent permitted by law, the RCC Pilotage Foundation and contributors do not accept any liability for any loss and/or damage howsoever caused that may arise from reliance on information in this Cruising Note and any attached files. The RCC Pilotage Foundation would welcome additional information or corrections to the information in this note. Please click here if you want to provide feedback on this or any other notice.