We found the E quay full in June, with low turnover. Visiting yachts were using the quay SW of the basin, with bow anchors. Hazards include:
• Ferry wash. Scend & surge on SW quay. Scend, surge and roll on the E quay.
• The SW quay is exposed to the Meltemi. The E quay is surprisingly sheltered.
• Yachts may not be left unattended on the SW quay. One anchor lifted by another’s during the Meltemi could result in multiple damage.
• Off the SW quay is a small reef which fouls anchors, positioned 175 feet 194 degrees from the SW corner of the ferry quay. The HM (at Ios Marina office) can arrange a diver well used to clearing anchors for Euro 120.
• Noise of ferries is invasive at night. Some 20 large vessels per 24h.
We did not agree with Heikell that Ios is a place to leave a yacht while visiting Santorini.